Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

sloopy312 is on a distinguished road
Install speed bag and heavy bag

I just bought the Everlast 4264 speed bag platform. I used to help out in golden and silver gloves, but there our platforms were very heavy.
We are building a new house and what is the best way to mount the platform? Should I add extra 2 by 6 or what to reduce vibration? I will mount it in the 2nd floor on wall studs or ???.
Also I weigh 275[trying to loose down to 175#] and want to get a 125 pound heavy bag with bottom attachment also. Any ideas on how to re-enforce our ceiling to mount this heavy bag. Our contractor wants to do it right with strong structural integrity.
Sincerely,
Nelson Smith USAF Retired and overweight :-).
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Hi Nelson,
That 4264 platform is pretty solid to start with, but it wouldn't hurt to throw some extra weight on the top. The weight will help stop unwanted vibration. I use a 50 lb bag of sand, wrapped in duct tape, then in another bag, which keeps any holes from getting in it, and then sand leaking all over the place. If you want something more aesthetically pleasing, you may want to have a thicker drum (rebound board) made. Heavier, thicker etc will all help.

Other than that, as long as that platform is installed into the wall studs you should be fine. Everlast really knocked one out of the park with this platform. It's cheap, readily available at most local sporting goods stores, and it's a high quality platform.

Also, see this page http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups for many installation tips.

I've not hung a heavy bag of those proportions so I can't offer any advice there.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Last edited by Tim; 04-24-2009 at 08:03 AM.