X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aad03

• Jan 2010

Ball Hook/Leather Swivel

Just something I thought of and had to try out. I removed the hook from a ball/hook, then cut a small strip of leather (2-3 inches), and punched a hole on both sides to slip it on the eye of the swivel. The leather gets laced through the loop of the bag. It seemed lightning fast, but very unforgiving on mis-hits. Anyone try anything like this?

• paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
    Just something I thought of and had to try out. I removed the hook from a ball/hook, then cut a small strip of leather (2-3 inches), and punched a hole on both sides to slip it on the eye of the swivel. The leather gets laced through the loop of the bag. It seemed lightning fast, but very unforgiving on mis-hits. Anyone try anything like this?

http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/swivel.pdf
    Interesting, have not tried. This eliminates the metal to metal wear at that point. Let us know how well it works for you over time.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Here are some good things about it:
      - It is very smooth
      - It's not quite as noisy, because you don't get that "chink" of the hook swinging on the eye-bolt
      - It's very quick and easy to switch bags
      - The width of the bag's loop does not matter, they all fit on the strap
      - You can control your arc length by using a shorter/longer strip of leather
      - It literally takes 30 seconds to make a new leather strap if you want to change the length, or if the current one is wearing out

Like I said, it is not very forgiving because it has so much freedom of movement; but we'll see how it works out.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Here are some good things about it:
        - It is very smooth
        - It's not quite as noisy, because you don't get that "chink" of the hook swinging on the eye-bolt
        - It's very quick and easy to switch bags
        - The width of the bag's loop does not matter, they all fit on the strap
        - You can control your arc length by using a shorter/longer strip of leather
        - It literally takes 30 seconds to make a new leather strap if you want to change the length, or if the current one is wearing out

Like I said, it is not very forgiving because it has so much freedom of movement; but we'll see how it works out.
        I have a feeling you'll adapt, do keep us posted.

I'm with you on arc length control -- I like that feature.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I could not get the .PDF file to open, but I think the shorter the rebound arc the faster the bag. (Bag weight also factors in to this...) But there is a point to which the rebound arc will be too short for Downward Elbow Strikes, for the elbow has to raise up a bit to come "downward" into the bag belly, and if the bag belly is only two or three inches from the board there won't be enough room to clear the technique. Not every cares about Downward Elbow techniques, but I really like them and will favor a longer bag arc to allow for them.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Crapsterface
            • Nov 2009

Thats a good Idea. Im going to try it.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I just started bagging 3 weeks ago, so don't expect much, but here's a video I just shot with the Ball/Strap Swivel.

Comment

• speedbagstud
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2009

Cool

i like your idea, except that using leather part. leather stretches. i know, i made a speed bag out of a tanned deer hide once. What about trying thick canvas?

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I just started bagging 3 weeks ago, so don't expect much, but here's a video I just shot with the Ball/Strap Swivel.

Nice Punching. I suggest you hold your non-punching arm up a bit higher. When your left fist is punching, I see your right fist is down at your waist, and when it's time to punch you have to bring it up from the waist. I think if you keep it up by the chin you will get it to the bag faster and control your distance better, rather than bring it all the way up from the waist.

As for the swivel, why not must attach the bag to the hooked shank inside the ball? make the hook eye a bit bigger and attach it.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/swivel.pdf
                    Just FYI, the pdf opened ok for me. Very nice rendering. Are you a mechanical engineer or something by trade?

Well, for 3 weeks in you are doing fantastic. Certainly better than I was 6 MONTHS in. Great job.

That's a call idea. The only thing I would do is try to shorten the strap piece as much as possible to get the shortest rebound arc.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

As for the swivel, why not must attach the bag to the hooked shank inside the ball? make the hook eye a bit bigger and attach it.
                      Ahh, that's a good point. That would be the absolute shortest rebound arc possible. Might make changing bags harder though, especially with really wide, beefy looped bags.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Tim, I got a degree in architecture at Texas A&M, so I went through some Autocad classes. The leather strap gives the bag a little freedom, and you can pretty much make it as short as you want. Like you said, it also makes it very easy to switch bags, and fit the wide loops. I'd like to see one of you ringers try it, just to see if it makes any difference to a skilled bagger.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by speedbagstud View Post
                          i like your idea, except that using leather part. leather stretches. i know, i made a speed bag out of a tanned deer hide once. What about trying thick canvas?
                          Pix please Do you have any ? Would love to see it. How hard was it to make? I love the idea of a hand made custom speed bag.

Tim, I got a degree in architecture at Texas A&M, so I went through some Autocad classes.
                          Cool

I'd like to see one of you ringers try it, just to see if it makes any difference to a skilled bagger.
                          Any chance you'll make it to SPEED B.A.G. 2010 ? I know that's hard to say since we don't have a firm location or date yet...

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Just depending on time and place, I'd like to make it to Speed Bag 2010.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...