• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paolouccio
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2010

Question about Chain Link

Hello people. First time question. Hoping to hear from people who have tried all kinds of swivels and have worked up to good momentum on the bag.

I just purchased the Balazs i-Box Speed Bag Platform which comes with a chain link swivel. I'm finding that the Chain link swivel is stopping my momentum. Is it me (I am a newbie) or is this par-for-the-course when it comes to chain link.

I get going pretty good and inevitably, something about that swivel messes up my momentum. Yet, I read that chain link is something that's been around for years... so why do so many speak of the ball swivel or the u bolt?

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I have been baggin for about 2 months and started out with a chainlink. For "me" it was good for front hitting only. Once i started reverse hitting it really messed me up. I personally DO NOT like the chain link. I then got a U-bolt and wow! Much better control immediately. It made alot of difference for me. I then got a ball hook and like it soso. I am not at a level of doing side hits yes (ball hook prefered). So i pretty much hit with a U-bolt. Swivels are pretty much punchers preference. But my personal opinion is U-bolt all the way! Bag on!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• juxt
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

i used nothing but a ballhook swivel for my first 15 years of bagging until i used a chainlink at my gym. the chainlink seems pretty good for all kinds of punching to me. i just ordered a chainlink for my setup at home because i want to make direct comparison between ballhook vs chainlink.

Comment

• Paolouccio
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Sep 2010

Thanks posters for your input. Much appreciated. Juxt, if you remember, how about letting me know your conclusion on the comparison of the two swivels. I cannot sustain a good rhythm for too long and don't know who to blame...me or the swivel.

Comment

• juxt
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

sure thing. hopefully it will only take a few days before i get it in the mail.
          Last edited by juxt; 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Paolouccio View Post
            Hello people. First time question. Hoping to hear from people who have tried all kinds of swivels and have worked up to good momentum on the bag.
            Welcome to the forum!

I just purchased the Balazs i-Box Speed Bag Platform
            Excellent choice. The i-Box is a great piece of equipment

which comes with a chain link swivel. I'm finding that the Chain link swivel is stopping my momentum. Is it me (I am a newbie) or is this par-for-the-course when it comes to chain link.
            As a beginner, you're probably mostly punching from the front. For that, the chain link is fine. Unless it's defective (which is not likely) it's probably not messing you up. Give it 2 weeks. If you haven't improved by then, maybe there is something wrong with the equipment.

I get going pretty good and inevitably, something about that swivel messes up my momentum. Yet, I read that chain link is something that's been around for years... so why do so many speak of the ball swivel or the u bolt?
            Two words: Side punches

When punching from all sides of the bag, the front, back, sides, and everywhere in between, you simply cannot beat the ball hook swivel. It provides the best rebound under any circumstances.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Paolouccio View Post
              Thanks posters for your input. Much appreciated. Juxt, if you remember, how about letting me know your conclusion on the comparison of the two swivels. I cannot sustain a good rhythm for too long and don't know who to blame...me or the swivel.
              Always blame the swivel. The bag will thank you for it and the board doesn't care.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon
                Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Always blame the swivel. The bag will thank you for it and the board doesn't care.

LOL....thats funny. I would be better if it werent for this "damn swivel"
                evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                  LOL....thats funny. I would be better if it werent for this "damn swivel"
                  actually, I was thinking the very same thing!
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• juxt
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

i like the chainlink but like they say, you cant beat the ballhook. i dont think the chainlink moves as smooth as the ballhook. and when the bag changes direction sometimes only 1 of the 2 links will bend changing the arc of the bag when it swings. but for the most part i still think the chainlink is cool.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by juxt View Post
                      i like the chainlink but like they say, you cant beat the ballhook. i dont think the chainlink moves as smooth as the ballhook. and when the bag changes direction sometimes only 1 of the 2 links will bend changing the arc of the bag when it swings. but for the most part i still think the chainlink is cool.
                      And that's why we ballhookers swear by the pure rebound action of the ball and hook.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...