Everlast pro speed bags

Everlast pro speed bags are on sale

Anyone have an opinion of these?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Everlast Pro 4200

Hey Tim,

For most of my speed bag career (starting "officially" in 1971), I hit this model 9x6 Everlast 4200. Back then, these models had a "flat welt" (vertical strip where panels are connected), with no external seam - not the red beaded plastic seam. Then it went to a "leather strip" welt, and eventually the present day red plastic seam.

My experience with this bag is evident. It is the bag seen on the Cover of The Speed Bag Bible. This picture was shot in 1994. The bag in that shot was about 5 or 6 years old.

You can also see it on my website Banner and scroll down page to pictures with black bag.

I have not purchased any of these bags lately, so I cannot say what their present day quality is like, but I can tell you this has been my gold standard for speed bag shape.

Two things I really like about it. First, a nice teardrop shop. short and fat. Second, the small connection loop at the top. I HATE long loops on the present day bags of other manufacturers, and see no reason for it. It makes the bag longer, they elongate the rebound arc. The everlast pro series of bags always had a very small, low loop.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, because of YOU and this forum, I have recently discussed the history of this bag. on your speed bag links topic, you have a link to a "Kangaroo speed bag". I thought I would order a few and give them a try. I had a few questions, so I called the company, and actually spoke to the owner, Mr. John Golomb - The Sports Doctor.

Turns out, he is the Grandson of the founder of Everlast, and spent his whole life manufacturing their equipment, including this bag. Their are various links on his website describing this history. He told me about the demise of the ballhook #4440 swivel, also. ( had a long talk about that...) I told him I loved the designs of the Everlast pro bags. Since he had such inside knowledge of their design and manufacturing (hand made in NYC), he is going to send me a few kangaroo versions and let me give them a try. Apparently they can customize shape and size, loop etc. as needed, along with various types of leather and bladders.

As we spoke, I had him look at this forum, and showed him your "links" post, as well as directed him to speedbagcentral. Needless to say, he was very excited about all this, as was I - (for the possibility of a future two piece ball hook revival. no promises, but he did make them back in it's heyday when a good ballhook could last for many years and not have the metal flake off.)

I am in hopes of posting a review of the custom made Kangaroo bags in the future. They are making a large Baseball glove order right now (it's a small custom fabrication operation. All items Hand made, low inventories. It's a growing business. I'm looking forward to possibly having direct input with a real live speed bag manufacturer, especially one with his level of experience.)

You and this forum may yet influence speed bag history. You gotta believe
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
      I'm looking forward to possibly having direct input with a real live speed bag manufacturer, especially one with his level of experience.)
      Cool! Definitely keep me posted on those developments. I'm liking the idea of speed bags customized for our purposes.

Finding a reliable future source of metal ball and hook swivels would be nice too.

Comment

• Nick
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2006

New 4200 purchase

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Speedbag
        I have not purchased any of these bags lately, so I cannot say what their present day quality is like, but I can tell you this has been my gold standard for speed bag shape.
        I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say that I just got an Everlast 4200 bag and was a little dissapointed. The bladder nozzle was partially torn and when I tried to slip the needle in it slipped right on into the bag. I hope I don't have to replace any bladders anytime soon, cause it was tough getting it back in.
        The other thing that kind of bugged me was that I had ordered expecting the glazed smooth kidskin that I had seen in the catalog but evidently Everlast has changed that to cowhide or something. It don't sound like much but I was expecting something else.
        I kept it anyway and filled it and, like you Alan, I liked the short and fat shape. And the small loop is nice. My only other bag so far is the Top Contender 6x9 which I like very well but this bag seems better. I just hope that the welted seams will beat down right now it's more like a hexagon than round because the seams stick up so high.
        Last edited by Nick; 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...