• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Problem w/ new fighting sports swivel

Hi all on the forum,
    Im a new member and this is actually my first post. I use to hit the speed bag about 20 yrs ago but was just hitting it from the front. I had no idea there were so many other cool and amazing ways to hit it. Ive recently been reading posts and watching videos on the forum and it got me motivated to get a new set up and try all these cool ways of hitting the speed bag.

I order a few different kinds of swivels to see which works best for me. The first one I received was the fighting sports heavy duty pro swivel. The two bags I got, title 5x8 and a pro-mex 6x9 wont sit at the bottom of the long narrow U hook. If I force it to the bottom it only stays there momenterally and then goes right back sitting almost sideways ways on the hook.

Does anyone know if this swivel is only made just for fighting sport speed bags? If not are there any solutions to solve this? Im not sure what to do. Is the U hook is defective?, should I file it down?, Are the bags I have defective?, should I trim the loop on the bag?, or maybe the loop is just stiff cause its new, or does this swivel U hook only takes certain speed bags? I will try to post a pic of this problem.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim; 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
    -Anthony
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Antny72 View Post
    Hi all on the forum,
    Im a new member and this is actually my first post.
    Welcome to the forum!

I order a few different kinds of swivels to see which works best for me. The first one I received was the fighting sports heavy duty pro swivel. The two bags I got, title 5x8 and a pro-mex 6x9 wont sit at the bottom of the long narrow U hook. If I force it to the bottom it only stays there momenterally and then goes right back sitting almost sideways ways on the hook.

Does anyone know if this swivel is only made just for fighting sport speed bags? If not are there any solutions to solve this? Im not sure what to do. Is the U hook is defective?, should I file it down?, Are the bags I have defective?, should I trim the loop on the bag?, or maybe the loop is just stiff cause its new, or does this swivel U hook only takes certain speed bags? I will try to post a pic of this problem.
    yes, please try to post a picture as I'm not familiar with this model of swivel...

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Weird. The bags you've pictured DO NOT have unusually wide loops. I think my recommendation would be to use a different model of swivel. Or you could punch on it for a few days and see if the leather takes the shape of the U... if no improvement, send that swivel back.

Also - I have the yellow bag pictured and a fighting sports in the same size (8x5). The loops are the exact same width and thickness. That swivel would likely give you trouble with a Fighting Sports bag too.
      Last edited by Tim; 04-23-2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
        • Apr 2011

Ok Thanks I will give that a try.

Also I wanted to know if anyone knows if the Title 8x5 is suppose to be slightly bigger than the Pro-mex 6 x 9? I measured around the bellys horizontally and also vertically around the bag and the Title is slightly bigger both ways ?? You can actually see the size difference in the Picture above.

I got the Title bag and thought it way a little too small to start off with so I descided to order a larger bag 6 x9 by Pro-Mex. I was shocked when it ended up being slightly smaller than the Tile 5 x 8.
        -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That is definitely a case of the people manufacturing swivels and those manufacturing speed bags not getting together to discuss product interaction. The narrow bag loops of the 70-80's would fit that U-bolt maybe. This same problem exists with ballhooks, were the openining in the hook is too small to allow the thick bag loop to enter, or the S-shape of the hook is too narrow to accept a wider bag loop. Either way it's a chore to get the bag on or off.

In your case, you might try taking a piece of string or cord and wrapping it / Tying it very tightly around the top center of the bag loop strap. Kinda like pinching the loop top to make it narrow enough to set in the bottom of the U-Bolt. But it won't seat properly unless you can keep the top of the bag loop narrow, so tie a peice of shoe string or cord around it. Two cords might also work. Anything to press the top edges of the bag loop together enough to seat in the U-bolt bottom. That should not effect the action of the bag when punching.

Hope this helps.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Ok Thanks I will give that a try.

Also I wanted to know if anyone knows if the Title 8x5 is suppose to be slightly bigger than the Pro-mex 6 x 9? I measured around the bellys horizontally and also vertically around the bag and the Title is slightly bigger both ways ?? You can actually see the size difference in the Picture above.

I got the Title bag and thought it way a little too small to start off with so I descided to order a larger bag 6 x9 by Pro-Mex. I was shocked when it ended up being slightly smaller than the Tile 5 x 8.
            Unfortunately there is no interbrand consistently for bag shapes and sizes. One companies 8x5 may be as big or larger than another's 9x6. You just have to find the size and shape you like.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
              • Apr 2011

Thanks for the info! I was actually gonna call and complain to the company, thinking that one of the bags must of been defective.

I will also try to tying that loop tight with a string to see if that works.
              -Anthony

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                • Apr 2011

I think someone (maybe MetalDad) suggested using a zip tie in another thread for loop/swivel mismatches.
                -
                Owner/Operator
                www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Hi all on the forum,
                  Im a new member and this is actually my first post. I use to hit the speed bag about 20 yrs ago but was just hitting it from the front. I had no idea there were so many other cool and amazing ways to hit it. Ive recently been reading posts and watching videos on the forum and it got me motivated to get a new set up and try all these cool ways of hitting the speed bag.

Hi Antny!! Scissorhands uses this style of swivel even with a Cleto!! try sending him a PM!!

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Yeah your right I actually saw his video last night and noticed the swivel. I sent him a message and he said it was just a matter of breaking the loops in, which another member also advised me to try. A couple others gave me some shortcuts to get it working quicker by using a string or a zip tie. I havent put that swivel back on my board yet but all the good advice assured me I can get it going. Thanks again for everyones advice.
                    -Anthony

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

The swivel is garbage, I got a Title platform that came with that exact same swivel. The u-bolt is way too long and skinny, I don't think it would work with any bag. Other U-bolts have a wider arc, if you are set on using a u-bolt. I'd recommend looking for a nice ball-hook swivel.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                        The swivel is garbage, I got a Title platform that came with that exact same swivel. The u-bolt is way too long and skinny, I don't think it would work with any bag. Other U-bolts have a wider arc, if you are set on using a u-bolt. I'd recommend looking for a nice ball-hook swivel.
                        I tried the plastic ball hook but seemed a little slow but I didnt really give it a fair chance because the hook kept coming out of the ball every minute. I just ordered two different kinds of the metal ball hook swivels that havent arrived yet. Looking forward too trying them out. Both of them were spoke about and recommended on the forum. But as of now the everlast swivel that came with the board is the one Im back to using untill the others arrive.

Its really shocked me about the Fighting Sport Heavy Duty Pro Swivel. I bought it from the Title web site and it was by far the most expensive swivel on there- $49.99. I saw it and the price and thought WOW that must be some special swivel. Just goes to show ya that the more expensive it is , doesn't necessarilly mean its better! Or maybe it really is better but not for the people that wanna put a speed bag on it.
                        -Anthony

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Aug 2010

Videos Everlast chain link modified to ball-hook swivel

Welcome to the forum Antny72!

I would like to say that different Swivels are good for different types or styles of Bagging.

I'm totally hooked on Speed Bagging, so, I hit the speed bag in several different modes such as:

1. Traditional boxing style

2. 3 minute rounds of the same fist skills

3. 3 minute rounds of the same Elbow skills

4. Punch Drumming (different song speeds call for different set ups)

5. bumping

For Speed Bag Bible style Punching using Medium and Large Bags, the Powermill is by far My first choice and the S-hook is convenient for quick bag changes.

For Traditional Boxing style bagging (looking for maximum rebounding speed. I prefer a chain link, U-bolt or....... a Modified ball hook that I posted below. The video I reposted below, shows an everlast chain link swivel, that I modified myself.

I removed the guts of the chain link and replaced it with a 3/4" brass ball with a 1/4" eye hook (made by Jump cannon for the Powermill) mounted in through the ball (unthreaded) and attached with a nut on top of the ball. Then, secured with Locktite (Red tube) from the nut threads through the length of the eye-hook passing through the brass ball.

I didn't drill out the original hole in the housing at all. The reason I beleive this little ball hook is so fast, is due to the small diameter ball.

I've also experimented with the same set up but using a 3/16" eye-hook. For xs and small speed bags I prefer this lighter hardware because the weight of the eye-hook s-hook connection seems to be more conducive to smaller/lighter bags.

In this video the cleto bag is moving at a good pace, however, a 7x4 Ringside is lighter and faster than the cleto. In the Ringside video, I am not pushing the pace but keeping the Rhythm of the song, but the bag still has plenty of speed.

Check it out and see what you think of the speed of this ball hook swivel. There is no S-hook involved in this set up so that also allows for various arc lengths according to the preference of the bagger. A zip tie is used in this video to attach the speed bag to the eye-hook.

When punch drumming, changing the arc length of the zip tie is similar to tuning an instrument. If the bag needs a bit more speed you can shorten the zip tie. You can lengthen the zip tie if that is more appropriate for the speed of the song as in the "To legit to Quit video I posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJxUj4n_wA

Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM. Reason: finish a sentence add a link
                          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                            • Apr 2011

Thanks for the response. Well I didnt think I was gonna have to make any modifications. I thought all bags fit all swivels. I found out the hard way. But that clasp hook looks like a great idea. It looks easy to change bags and they cant fall off so you dont have to tape the bags on. What would be the down side to using that clasp because I dont see anyone selling them like that. As far as speed goes with the swivels. All the videos I see with ball hook swivels look fast. So I was suprised when I tried my plastic and then metal ball hook how slow the rebound was and how extremely tired I got compared to the cheap one that came with the board. I think I figured the problem though. Im kinda on the light side. Meaning I dont have big hands or upperbody so when I use the ball hook I have to hit it harder to get it to go the same speed. It wiped me out at first and I took it off my board and continued with the U hook swivel. Then I kept watching video after video with ball hooks and how happy everyone is with them so I decided to go back and try the ball hook again. I guess I build up my strenghth abit and now can get the ball hook to go really fast and plan on keeping it on my board. I really want to learn all the freestyle moves and heard using the ball hook is the way to go for that. BTW are the Cleto bags suppose to have the 3 litttle tags on the outside by the loop?? These are the first bags I saw that have that. Just wondering if they were put on backwards by accident.
                            -Anthony

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2010

My Swivel knowledge

Antny72,

If you want to use the zip tie it requires eliminating the s-hook. If you have a vise, you can bend the loop of the s-hook by clamping it in the vise and using a pliers, vise grip. grinder with a cutting wheel etc. to open the loop.

When I ordered my Powermill Swivel from jumpcanon he sent an extra eye bolt, opened at the top to allow a zip tie to slide in the eye hook.

The smaller ball on my modified swivel and the short arc is what accounts for most of the speed. These are the requirements I believe are most important for a fast ball hook swivel.

1. A solid board eliminating the vibration as much as possible.
                              2. The shortest arc from ball to bag loop as possible that allows the bagger to operate the bag fluidly.
                              3. A smaller diameter ball like the 3/4" instead of the normall 1"size.
                              4. lighter hard ware such as the zip tie.

The Jim bradley swivel from Australia seems to be very fast however, because it is not a ball hook swivel, it is difficult to change directions with the bag for the fancy hitting.

Try some other swivel and set up but if you would like one similar to my custom swivel. I can arrange that.

My zip ties do pop off the eye hook from time to time as you might notice in my last video post in the Hitting to music section. But it doesn't happen often. Also, the zip ties will break some times but they are quick to be replaced and very inexpensive. They don't cause metal shaving from the friction of the eye-hook and swivel contact.

There is no straight answer to your question "What would be the down side to using that clasp because I don't see anyone selling them like that?". It just depends on what you want to accomplish and what your preferences are.

The most solid set up I hit on (an everlast elite mounted on a cinder block wall at the school where I teach) has a plastic ball hook swivel attached to it. I get the most speed on it by using a 7x4 (fat/round) Ringside NOS bag from Ralph. This bag is super light with great rebounding ability. but the board is very solid and there is no modifications done to the swivel.

Overall my custom Modification of the Everlast chainlink swivel is what I gravitate to because is quick, quiet and versatile in being able to change the length of the bag arc with the use of a zip tie.

I wish you well in choose your swivel set up. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the different designs, and custom modifications.

It's all part of my incredible speed bagging experience.

Oh, BTW the tags on the Cletos come that way.

Keep on Baggin!
                              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...