Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Gozzee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDeville View Post
If you mean my old swivels, from Everlast, original prototypes, etc.? We will most likely hold on to them, for now. And, I'll never let loose of my Powermill. Even though I don't use it often for punch-drumming, it's a classic.
i prefer u bolts.

much smoother and easier to control
Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM

MsDeville is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozzee View Post
i prefer u bolts.

much smoother and easier to control
Yes, I agree, it is definitely smoother and easier to control on the basic boxing punches. I preferred the U-bolt for my first 6 months or so. I thought there wasn't anything better than a U-bolt. But, I kept reading about the benefits of the S-hook for the fancier punching and took the plunge. It took me a little while to adjust, but once I learned how to control it, I fell in love with it.

The drawback of using the u-bolt for what I do, is that it tends to rattle a lot and I had a hard time controlling my elbow punches. (Well, my Everlast U-bolt was noisy.) Which brand do you have? How long have you been using the speed bag?

Here is a video of me punch-drumming at 6 months in, on a U-bolt. This was pre-SpeedB.A.G. 2010, so it's pretty rough:

Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM

This is my swivel: Pro "Grant" style Swivel

https://www.profightshop.com/pro-gra...85&cPath=6_140

in the vid did you hear any noise come directly from the swivel?
Didn't think so and it sounds the same for me but im not as fast as pac obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDeville View Post
Yes, I agree, it is definitely smoother and easier to control on the basic boxing punches. I preferred the U-bolt for my first 6 months or so. I thought there wasn't anything better than a U-bolt. But, I kept reading about the benefits of the S-hook for the fancier punching and took the plunge. It took me a little while to adjust, but once I learned how to control it, I fell in love with it.

The drawback of using the u-bolt for what I do, is that it tends to rattle a lot and I had a hard time controlling my elbow punches. (Well, my Everlast U-bolt was noisy.) Which brand do you have? How long have you been using the speed bag?

Here is a video of me punch-drumming at 6 months in, on a U-bolt. This was pre-SpeedB.A.G. 2010, so it's pretty rough:

Last edited by Gozzee; 02-12-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Didn't think so and it sounds the same for me but im not as fast as pac obviously
U-bolts are definitely quiet, but consistently hitting side punches is somewhat tricky on many u-bolt models, which is why a lot of "bible style" punchers prefer ball hooks.

Here's some Deville swivel, I like it a lot. I used the zip tie that came with it to attach the bag which makes for a wicked fast short rebound, especially with a small 8x5 bag (that's a Pro-Mex)

Last edited by Tim; 02-12-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 PM

tjgonz is on a distinguished road
Good lordy thats fast baggin Tim!
I'd love one of those awesome swivs MsD. : ]]
I work online so all my money is tied in paypal if that would work.
Do they come in purple?!

Last edited by tjgonz; 02-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgonz View Post
Do they come in purple?!
you can probably paint it purple
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
This is my swivel: Pro "Grant" style Swivel

That Grant is a nice swivel. Nicer than the old Everlast u-bolt I had. If you are from a boxing background, then it looks like the U-bolt definitely serves your purpose. I love watching Pacquiao on the speed bag. He is one focused individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
U-bolts are definitely quiet, but consistently hitting side punches is somewhat tricky on many u-bolt models, which is why a lot of "bible style" punchers prefer ball hooks.

Here's some Deville swivel, I like it a lot. I used the zip tie that came with it to attach the bag which makes for a wicked fast short rebound, especially with a small 8x5 bag (that's a Pro-Mex)

Thanks for posting this video, Tim. I knew you'd put it to the speed test. Sorry about not including an S-hook when I sent it. Raul hadn't made any yet, and I was just too anxious to get it to you. I'll drop one in the mail tomorrow for you. It shouldn't be too difficult with the proper pliers or vice grips, or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgonz View Post
Do they come in purple?!
Hey tj. If you're interested, PayPal works for me. You can Private Message me with your address and I can give you my PayPal account name. Thanks for your interest.

Oh yeah, about the purple. We're going to experiment with a few colors... not sure about purple. But, like Gozzee suggests, you could probably paint it, but you would need to make sure that it is the kind of paint that will adhere to neoprene-type material.

Last edited by MsDeville; 02-13-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: deleted PayPal info
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

jumpcannon is on a distinguished road
Very cool your making these! Hope they go smoothly without many snags! If u run into any problems lemme know. Two minds are better than one & maybe i can help if its something i have experience in! Bag on!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM

PunchDrummer is on a distinguished road
Nice! Both the swivel and the punching. Great job!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchDrummer View Post
Nice! Both the swivel and the punching. Great job!
Thanks, Kevin! I guess I'm a full-fledged speed bag addict. I'm making my own gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpcannon View Post
Very cool your making these! Hope they go smoothly without many snags! If u run into any problems lemme know. Two minds are better than one & maybe i can help if its something i have experience in! Bag on!
Thanks so much, Ryan. And I agree about two heads being better than one! Thanks for the offer to help with any problems. It's appreciated. I've never done anything like this and it's a little nerve-wracking...

I'm excited that so many members are willing to take the plunge and try it out. Hopefully, they'll be a success. There's always room for something new in the speed bagger's world.