Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

Messiah is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy most solid Speed bag platform out there

Hey guys
I'm on mostly car forums and new to the boxing forum.
Me and the kids are looking to get more additional training at home.
I trained Muay Thai and Judo when i was younger and my 6 year old trains TKD ATM. We do a little boxing at home and are looking to get better. We do bag and pad work so far.
My question is what is your honest opinion on the best built, most solid, proven adjustable speed bag platform out there at any price? Alot of you are going to say overkill waste of money etc. I know it's for home but I want the best or at least close to it.
If being practical always in life I probably wouldn't drive a 800 hp death machine lol.
Does anyone know which one
Oscar Dela Hoya or Floyd Mayweather jr uses.
I know which Manny uses but not totally convinced on that design.
I've been looking at the Balazs and Title then realized its the same manifacturer.
Please help me with all your knowledge and wisdom.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
for me if i had the money and time to search, i would look for the older built adjustable cast iron platforms. like everyone knows the older stuff is built stronger no matter what it is JMO. a member (Johnny O) had an antique adjustable cast iron platform up for sale in the (play it again) section of this forum, you could PM him to see if he still has it...ralph

Last edited by ventanakaz; 10-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM

dogtoke is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum. Over the years from my experience I started with the 49.00 unit from Big 5 to 2 sheets of birch plywood laminated to a 2" beechwood tabletop ( this is all chronological) Then moved on to Primefighter 400 and the Manny Paquaio Firstrate boxing units. The latter two are the ones currently hanging in my garage and I wouldn't trade either of them for the world. I briefly looked on the Forum for the Primefighter info on the Forum with no luck. They have a 15% discount which brought mine to 515.00 including delivery. Members help me out.

On to the FirstRate Boxing unit. If cost is not an object this one would be my choice..$1100.00. It's a seriously heavy duty unit and they guarantee it for life. The vibration is virtually non-existent. This is one that I will be able to pass on to my Grandkids if, to quote Alan, I can get those electronic gadgets out of their hands. This product is amazing

Many members on this site recommend Balaz which has to be good as it is used at the annual Speedbag Conventions. My 2 cents..Hope it helps
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Cool

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. I spoke to Brian from Balazs for his advice on what platform would be best for me and my kids. I've ordered the Balazs 24" adjustable SBP24 platform with a pro level 3 swivel and a Title 4200 9x6 gyro speedbag. Sounds like a really good guy with a lot of knowledge. Brian sounds just like Chael Sonnen I told him lol(UFC fighter). I really wanted the universal stand to go along with my home gym but my ceiling is 1 inch too low! FML...
My other question is what other bags do you guys recommend for beginners me and my kids ages 6, 4 , and 3. I've been hearing mixed results on the Everlast Kangaroo bags, Title, and a few others. I know its all preference for the most part but i have no experience and would like to hear your preferences and start there.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Speed Bag Guru

i think you'll be fine with buying a title or fightingsports or ringside or cleto reyes bags. for beginners i would go for the bigger bags to start out with, like maybe a 10x7. but if money is not a problem then get all different size and shape bags like the tear drop shape bags and the bannana shape bags and the different sizes. by having the different bags, what this will do is build your striking skills by changing up the different bags. each different shape and size bag will not hit or feel the same when you strike them and in that different feel you will become better at striking the bags. in time it will not matter what size or shape the bag is cause of hitting all those bags brings your skill level up higher. and because you have a MA background remember to move all around the bag or platform use your footwork and move your body also use your hips with your elbow strikes while still be mobile. but you can also start out just by standing in front of the bag untill you get your strikes down then when you get them down, start moving all over the place...ralph (edit) i almost forgot get a few double end bags, set one up for yourself and set one up for your kids. you get a better cardio workout with the double end bag compared to the speed bag. also cut the metal rings off the double end bags, it's better to cut them off if you hit bare knuckle and use bungee cords top and bottom cause the DB bag will move around better and having the rope on top limits it's movement and having bungee cords on top and bottom makes the DB bag harder to hit and more fun. remember as with the speed bag you can also hit the DB bag with elbows. have fun

Last edited by ventanakaz; 10-08-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

Thanks for the great detailed advice. I will look into the other style bags and double end one.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Speed Bag Guru

maize bag

there is also another bag i think you might like (the maize bag) if you go to my youtube channel of the same name (ventanakaz) and go to my favorites, you'll find a video that i just put on there of the (punch professor hitting the maize bag) i think the bag is around 60lbs to 80lbs this bag is great cause it makes you move all over the place because of the way the bag swings everywhere each time you hit it. you can really drive your thai kicks into the bag when it swings then move around to drive more kicks and punches and elbows into the bag. check out the vid...ralph

Last edited by ventanakaz; 10-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM

Bag-A-Holic is on a distinguished road
Comparing platforms

Hi, I wanted to ask if some feedback can be givin on 3 perticular model platforms.

The balaz 12 inch adjustable with 30" platform: http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/...atforms|ms0197,

The primefighter 400: http://www.primefighter.com/Products.html,

The first rate boxing platform:http://www.firstrateboxing.com/products.html.

Which would have the least vibration?

Also, can the firstrate boxing platform be modified like the Balazs, to allow the swivel to be bolted on?

Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 12-08-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Bag-A-Holic is on a distinguished road
Ok so I ended up going with the 30Inch Balaz adjustable which arrived yesterday.
My next question is: to refrain from drilling holes into the metal frame to be able to use bolts to mount and change the swivels often, without stripping the wood, can these bolts, called sex bolts work? Can they be inserted into the wooden drum only, and will they hold? Has anyone tried this and or has any feedback related to this. I really would prefer not to drill and compromise the frame and cancell out my warranty. Ok thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41HqXyoIqyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2970   Click image for larger version

Name:	413iEy5um7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	2971  
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny72 View Post
Ok so I ended up going with the 30Inch Balaz adjustable which arrived yesterday.
My next question is: to refrain from drilling holes into the metal frame to be able to use bolts to mount and change the swivels often, without stripping the wood, can these bolts, called sex bolts work? Can they be inserted into the wooden drum only, and will they hold? Has anyone tried this and or has any feedback related to this. I really would prefer not to drill and compromise the frame and cancel out my warranty. Ok thanks!!!!
Hi Antny72

I have never heard of those types of bolts, but they sound like fun...

Actually, If you get the thickest, longest screws possible to fit through the swivel base, and tight them good I wouldn't worry about drilling the holes all the way through immediately to use bolts, especially if (1) you won't be changing swivels a lot, (2) It's in a low traffic area ie... you home, and only you or a few people will be using it and (3) You are not going to be putting larger bags on it and pounding the living crap out of it at full power, which is pretty tough on swivels. I think in a medium use home environment you might do OK with some thicker, longer screws for the swivel and see how that works.

Yes, I have always advocated "bolting the swivel" but that was from my own experience of hitting in very high use areas on equipment that was beat to death day after day and the tiny swivel screws had come loss from the softer wooden board, and could never be tightened. I fixed that with bolts, - and second, later in life I was changing swivels a lot to try new ones and different models, and the constant screwing and unscrewing of the wood screws always stripped the holes and pretty soon the tiny screws would not hold. But IF you are going to pretty much hang one swivel and forget it, and not have a bunch of "bangers" just ripping out hard on several bags, you might really be fine with the set up you have and a bit larger screws.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. V ! The Quest Continues... 2014 at the NEW Real Gymm in Keyport, NJ

The Art of the Bag