• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonzel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2007

Problem With Title Delux Pro Swivel

I've been using the Title Delux Pro Swivel for about 5 months or so and I like it. ( This one http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html )
    A few weeks ago I noticed that the part that spins around 360 degrees was getting a little loose. So I took it off the board to have a look and found that the bearing inside was moving around a little. so i bought a 3/4 inch spacer from sears. Cut it to size and put it in to hold the bearing in place and that worked for about a week, but now the problem is worst. Even if the bearing doesn't move, the part that hangs down still moves around. I think the bearing itself may be falling apart. Has anyone had this problem?
    I'm not sure if title will take it back since its been several months. I've never heard about this happening to anyone else, so I'm not sure if this is a defective swivel or if this will just happen after a while to all delux pro swivels. I'm thinking about getting the platinum pro swivel and maybe for the extra 10 bux I can get a little extra durability. Is there anyone out there that has really beaten the heck out of their delux pro swivel for atleast 6 months and not have any problems? Then maybe I can be sure that I had a defective swivel.
    Thanks.
  • Jonzel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2007

Nobody?????

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Jonzel,

Sorry to be of no real help.

Just looking at the small diameter of the bearing size on the deluxe pro swivel and the side load it takes a beating from the bag slamming it one way then the direct opposite thousands of times, somehow does not surprise me that it works loose. How loose is not clear but loose enough to make you unhappy with it.

In comparison of the Platinum Pro Swivel

"LIGHTNING FAST AND SUPER SMOOTH!
      All the quality and features of the Deluxe Model with even more! The highest grade metal and sealed precision ball-bearing swivel make for professional gym grade. Built like a German tank with the precision of a Swiss watch."

It certainly appears to be much stronger than just the Deluxe. And for $40 there is no big loss if you get a good year's use out of it.

What don't you like with the good ol' plastic or metal ball swivel? It is trouble free and works great for me and others. When you consider the leverage a bag has over the swivel movement, I wonder if it is humanly possible to actually feel the bag go faster when compared to a bearing swivel vs a non-bearing.

Comment

• Jonzel
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2007

Well since u ask. My first speed bag swivel was similar to the metal ball and hook. The only difference was that it was sort of a hollow half shell, rather than a ball. I broke 3 of them in about a month (luckily Dick's had no problem exchanging them). At this time (about 4 years ago) I didn't know about title.com or speedbag forum, so I thought that my only options were what was at Dick's and Sports Authority, which other than the one I mentioned, was the chain link swivel, which looked pretty sturdy so I bought it and used it for years and was very happy with it. About a year ago I found speed bag central and speed bag forum and was introduced to all these new "tricks" that I could do on the speed bag, so I decide to upgrade to a new bag and swivel and got the title delux pro swivel. The reason I didn't get the plastic ball was that it was too similar to the one that I said I went through 3 of, and I was afraid that it would break. and the only down side is that I can't smoothly transition from front and back, to side hits, which I can live with.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

For what it’s worth, I have two plastic ball hooks. One is for my separate big platform for the 12 x 10 bag, and the other is for the other platform that I use for all my other smaller bags.

For the smaller bags, the hook would unscrew easily but once I put 5 Second Dry Loctite on the threads and screwed it in quickly, it has never come loose again. On the big 12 x 10, even Loctite couldn’t keep it from unscrewing, so I put in a cross set screw in the plastic ball and it never comes loose.

Regarding the strength of the plastic ball, part of my workout consist of doing left right combinations which really slams the bag when the full throttle right punch hits it. Never broke and the hook makes for very quick and easy bag exchanges. Just because they’re cheap and non-complicated, does not mean they don’t do the job well.

Speedbag seems to like them too.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
            For what it’s worth, I have two plastic ball hooks. One is for my separate big platform for the 12 x 10 bag, and the other is for the other platform that I use for all my other smaller bags.

For the smaller bags, the hook would unscrew easily but once I put 5 Second Dry Loctite on the threads and screwed it in quickly, it has never come loose again. On the big 12 x 10, even Loctite couldn’t keep it from unscrewing, so I put in a cross set screw in the plastic ball and it never comes loose.

Regarding the strength of the plastic ball, part of my workout consist of doing left right combinations which really slams the bag when the full throttle right punch hits it. Never broke and the hook makes for very quick and easy bag exchanges. Just because they’re cheap and non-complicated, does not mean they don’t do the job well.

I do like them, using the old loctite glue to hold it together. However I had been using the Boxing Gear metal ballhook lately, until I recently created my own modification, the plastic housing with a metal ball hook, shown below.

I did that by taking the metal ball and hook of a regular Everlast Ballhook apart, then removing the plastic ball from a plastic ballhook, and placing the metal ball inside the plastic housing.(top pics and btm right )

(I also put the plastic ball inside the metal housing, but the plastic ball is too tall for the standard metal housing.... btm left )

the metal ball inside the plastic housing is sweet, moves really nice and is quiet. BUT it does make a wierd sound of the metal rattling in the plastic housing. It's not loud, and not bad, just different. I've been using it exclusively for about two months and really like it.

I wrote about it in an earlier thread. I got the idea from watch speed bag skunk doing putting the plastic ball in the metal housing, so I just reversed it.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bruce.M
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I do like them, using the old loctite glue to hold it together. However I had been using the Boxing Gear metal ballhook lately, until I recently created my own modification, the plastic housing with a metal ball hook, shown below.

I did that by taking the metal ball and hook of a regular Everlast Ballhook apart, then removing the plastic ball from a plastic ballhook, and placing the metal ball inside the plastic housing.(top pics and btm right )

(I also put the plastic ball inside the metal housing, but the plastic ball is too tall for the standard metal housing.... btm left )

the metal ball inside the plastic housing is sweet, moves really nice and is quiet. BUT it does make a wierd sound of the metal rattling in the plastic housing. It's not loud, and not bad, just different. I've been using it exclusively for about two months and really like it.

I wrote about it in an earlier thread. I got the idea from watch speed bag skunk doing putting the plastic ball in the metal housing, so I just reversed it.

Seems housing and ball with different rigidities work longer if they combine accurately.
              Can plastic stand light oil?
              Last edited by Bruce.M; 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bruce.M View Post
                Seems housing and ball with different rigidities work longer if they combine accurately.
                Can plastic stand light oil?
                I don't know why it couldn't take oil. I've never used a plastic ball enough to try it. Several guys do have plastic ballhooks, so perhaps they can offer some insight.

So, you're in China? Nice job on the Olympics.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Jonzel,i had the same problem with my pro swivel! all i did was hold the piece that the u bar goes through and tighten the nut inside with a socket set then gave the top of the nut and bolt a tap with a cold chisel to fix it in position, and i have had no problems since, hope this helps. Fingers

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post

I just re-read your post and I am interested to know how you "put a set screw into the plastic ball". That sounds very interesting. What size drill and size set screw did you use? How did you do it?
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bruce.M
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2008

I don't know why it couldn't take oil. I've never used a plastic ball enough to try it. Several guys do have plastic ballhooks, so perhaps they can offer some insight.

So, you're in China? Nice job on the Olympics.
                      Yes, in China.
                      Really wonderful feast for those athletes!
                      But still the sport undertaking should be to developd a lot here.It‘s hard to find a available boxing arena in my city for us amateurs.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bruce.M View Post
                        I live in China.I am very glad to get into this professional community.I wanna share my feeling of playing speed bag and learn more about it,in spite of my poor English.
                        Don't worry, Bruce. Your "poor" English is much better than my chinese. We'll help ya anyway we can. The speed bag is multi-lingual, as is the speed bag community.

(actually, your English is just fine!)
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
                          • Nov 2008

You could [likely] take some of the the top off of the plastic ball with a Dremel tool w/cutting wheel - to make it the shape of the metal ball that it is replacing. If the metal eye is screwed that far up into the plastic ball the Dremel will make quick work of that too.
                          I bought a Dremel tool a couple of years ago and only started using it this fall when I misplaced battery charger for my drill. Now I am "Dremeling" everything in sight. It's only a matter of time until I ruin something; but I gave up "fixing things for the wife while drinking beer on Saturdays" years ago - so how much damage can a man do with a rotary tool and a green tea?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                            You could [likely] take some of the the top off of the plastic ball with a Dremel tool w/cutting wheel - to make it the shape of the metal ball that it is replacing. If the metal eye is screwed that far up into the plastic ball the Dremel will make quick work of that too.
                            I bought a Dremel tool a couple of years ago and only started using it this fall when I misplaced battery charger for my drill. Now I am "Dremeling" everything in sight. It's only a matter of time until I ruin something; but I gave up "fixing things for the wife while drinking beer on Saturdays" years ago - so how much damage can a man do with a rotary tool and a green tea?
                            That would work, but the easiest fix I have found is to put the plastic ball in the metal housing and not screw it all the way up tight. I leave two or three threads open, making the bottom housing a bit lower on the base plate than if I screwed it up completely tight. This gives the plastic ball enough clearance to turn freely under the board.

Problem is, you have to superglue the metal threads to hold the lower housing tight. In effect, it fuses the two swivel parts into a single housing with a plastic ball inside. Doing this makes the swivel a bit longer, but I don't notice it in the rebound reaction. The result is, a plastic ball inside the metal housing.

I only recommend the above fix IF you have a few two-piece metal housings around to spare.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...